Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Oh Christmas tree









Today was supposed to be our "Gingerbread day" but it didn't work out - we went with the flow and did a Christmas tree day instead. We read "Mooseltoe" by Margie Palatini . It's a cute little story about a moose who thinks he has planned Christmas down to a tea and then discovers that he has forgotten the Christmas tree! He searches EVERYWHERE for one at the last minute but there are none left. In order to "save Christmas", the moose decides to use his exceptionally long "moosetache" to make a Christmas tree. WE actually have a CD of this story so were able to follow along with the book (Channing loves to do this).


After we read the story, we made our own Christmas trees out of waffle cones, tinted green icing, M&M's and mini marshmallows (at Channing's request). It was a bit of a messy experience but it was fun.



I found these Christmas tree bubbles at Michaels the other day in the dollar section......Channing loves blowing them and Sully loves chasing them :-)


We played a Christmas tree game that I whipped up. Every player gets a game board and you'll need something to cover the spaces (we happened to use candy cane Hershey Kisses but we didn't eat any because we had already made the candy trees). You could use a dice to play but this time I ended up using a milk bottle cap and wrote the numbers 1 and 2 on the sides. Flip the cap and cover the correct amount of spaces on your tree (using the numbers 1 and 2 makes the game last longer)...........Channing had a ball with this.

Isn't this crayon puzzle cute! I found it a Michaels......perfect for our Christmas tree day so I got it out and the boys both drew pictures.




I was all set to make a Popsicle stick Christmas tree but couldn't find my Popsicle sticks ANYWHERE, so I had this thought:
It ended up being great because not only was it a sizing activity (I cut the pieces out and Channing had to put them in size order) but it was a patterning activity too. When we had all the pieces glued down, we tried dotting them with our dot markers but that didn't work so we put glitter glue on it..........as you can see, Channing LOVES squeezing it out :-)


We also started work on a special Christmas craft - but you'll have to wait a few days to find out what it is........it involves a canvas and lots of mess.........


3 comments:

Kylie said...

Great day. That crayon puzzle is to die for, I so want one! We made similar trees last year but used pieces of foam cut into rectangles, it was fun.

I don't dare let my kids see all of those Icing covered cone trees that are floating around lol!

Andrea said...

Oh my gosh we are doing that christmas tree cone activity too! We had it planned for today actually lol Yours turned out so cute. I just bought regular cones but I'm guessing the kind you got are more sturdy
~Jada Roo Can Do

Mrs. Whary said...

Actually, I was looking for sugar cones (becasue they are flat at the bottom) but could not find them ANYWHERE.........I guess it's not the season for them or something......our waffle cones kept tipping over and I had to put folded paper underneath........your will turn out GREAT!