Monday, October 4, 2010

The letter Aa

A few weeks ago, Channing and I started our preschool adventure. I LOVE finding and organizing all the activities for him to do. I've come across some excellent blogs that have super neat ideas and have given me LOTS of inspiration...........I even braved our HUGE basement to dig through some teaching boxes :


We looked at different types of apples, felt their skin, had a sniff etc.


Channing noticed that the Red Delicious apples was bumpy on the bottom and the Gala was not.








He did an upper/lower case letter matching ( I can't remember where I got this from, but I think it was here.)




We did an apple poem each day (which you will find below) however, after the first day, I got smart and printed off two apples, stuck them on Popsicle sticks and we used that (the MUCH lighter version!).






Apple tree




Away up high in the apple tree,


Two red apples smiled at me.



I shook that tree as hard as I could,



And down came the apples,



Mmmmmmmmm, they were good!






We had an "Aa" snack............Apples smiles (the things that look like Shrek teeth), animal crackers and apricots.








We threw "apples" (handmade apple beanbags which look more like strawberries!) into the apple basket. This was a hit and both boys were doing this all week!





We did a dot-a-dot painting from Confessions of a Homeschooler. If you haven't already checked out Erika's "Letter of the week" curriculum, you should! It's wonderful! Channing actually did lots of the "Letter of the week" activities this week but my post would be SUPER long if I had a photo of everything.




Channing and I made "apple cupcakes" for all the boys to share. They were a hit!

We made an apple stained glass window.







We started our alphabet book. Totally Tots has ideas for upper and Lower case letters.




Channing sorted through rainbow rice to find hidden mini apples.





Some more of the "crafty" things we did this week. The top picture is some apples prints we did after reading some "apple" books and the bottom one is our "apples are tasty and delicious" page that we did after tasting different kinds of apples.




After reading "10 Apples up on top". we tried to balance apples on our heads too. Channing could do four. and sully did one!



All in all, we had a wonderful week of the letter Aa........we're looking forward to Bb!

1 comments:

Sippy Cup Central said...

That looks like so much fun! I love all the A ideas and the apple snack. You can make a sensory tub out of that theme. Thanks, Karen
Sippy Cup Central Mom